Sunday, September 28, 2008

About Nothing

No one had written down any suggestions this week so I thought initially that I would be a smart ass and write on nothing. What is nothing; nothing is simply the absence of lack of anything.

So I started to do a bit of research on nothing by looking up nothing on Google. I sat there and I typed nothing into my Google bar. By nothing I mean that I did not type anything and I left it completely blank since as I said above that nothing is the absence or lack of anything. Well I hit my return button and entering nothing into the Google tool bar and do you know what happened. It gave me a page on Google with some basic info saying Google is now 10 and another search box to enter a subject in.

I will get back to that in a second but if you think about it, I got something for nothing although it was not anything much it still was some kind of page that I got for entering nothing into the Google bar. I had always been told that you can’t get something for nothing but I personally have proved that theory to be wrong. Yes that is right for nothing I got a Google Page with some info on it. So this new Google page that said Google is now 10 had another empty space to write your subject into and 2 categories underneath. One said Google Search and the other said “I’m feeling lucky”. I hit the regular Google search with nothing written in the toolbar and the same exact page came back. So this time I did get nothing for nothing. I decided that I was feeling lucky so hit that button after entering nothing in the toolbar and I got back a page that basically told me that what the I’m feeling lucky button can do is to return the first article in the search of whatever I was looking for. But since I was looking for nothing it did give me something back other than the nothing I was looking for. But if you enter nothing again into that page the same page comes back so you again get nothing from nothing.

That reminds me of the Billy Preston song “Nothing from Nothing leaves Nothing”. People have been writing songs and stuff about nothing for years. Metallica wrote “Nothing else Matters”. The Jerry Seinfeld show was a show about nothing.

OK now that I had done the Google experiment, I decided to try Yahoo search. I went to the Yahoo Main Page and again entered nothing. A different page came up with now just an entry slot for a new term. So I entered nothing again and the same page came up. It is coincidence or what that when I entered nothing on both Google and Yahoo that at first something came up and then nothing came up.

OK, what was the point of that whole exercise? Yep, you got it, absolutely nothing. There was No point.

So now, my curiosity is raging and I went back to the Google Home page and actually typed in the letters “nothing” and hit the enter button. There were 750,000,000 results that had something remotely to do with nothing. Now that’s a whole lot of nothing and shows that many people think and write about nothing all the time. At least 750,000,000 times. Now of course things get more irrelevant as we go deeper and deeper into the pages of any web search so I only looked about 3 pages deep before my interest in nothing began to dwindle down to nothing.
I could go through the list of some of the more interesting results on nothing but I will leave that to you the next you have nothing to do.

I am tired of writing about nothing now so I am going to take a rest and do nothing the rest of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Ed but I must say it was very confusing!!!! Looking forward to next week's!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gosh, that was so funny. I laughed out loud, who would've thought that i would find Nothing so funny! Than again a lot of little nothings make me laugh daily.... Good job. Going to read about your stomach. : )

Anonymous said...

Nothing more to say about that huh? LOL